Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Good and the Sad of Puppy Raising

I finally got an update regarding Pilgrim's recall last night.  While the update actually made me feel better about his return to campus, it also brought the harsh reality that this sweet, maturing boy is really leaving our lives.  It is so hard to say good-bye to the potty-trained, obedient, take anywhere, great house-mannered, knows the routines dog that is sheer joy, and start over with a little bundle of fur that pees and poops to no end, cries in the crate, abuses the toddler, and annoys the older dogs.  But that little bundle of fur is also what makes it possible to send away your previous trainee.  Thank heaven for that puppy breath which I love!

The original plan was for Pilgrim, Placer, and George to return via air cargo.  Now, thanks to some dedicated raisers who have flexible schedules, the 3 dogs will be driven to the Guide Dogs campus on Sunday.  I have had my recalled dogs taken by puppy truck, air cargo, flown with them, and sent them with another raiser.  Air cargo just stinks!!!!!  It feels like you are abandoning your dog with complete strangers.  The airline regulations require the dog to be there, in crate, two hours prior to their flight.  I hope I never have to send another dog back that way again!  Pilgrim loves being in the car, and loves other GDB dogs so I know he will thoroughly enjoy going back by car.

Of course, the recall process is not complete without the arrival of a new puppy to raise.  Our little Black Lab girly will arrive a week from today.  Her name begins with 'N', but I have no idea her age or parents.  Haven't really even thought of possible names- though Nancy was the first that came to mind, and I REALLY hope she is not named.  What do you think it will be?

No comments: