Monday, August 12, 2013

A Working Weekend

As I have "matured" in my guide dog puppy raising experience, I have found that it is truly unnecessary to drag (I mean, take) your puppy everywhere anytime you go somewhere.  Quality of outing definitely trumps quantity of outings, in my opinion.  Esme has been no exception.  Until recently, her monthly reports seemed eerily absent of outings.  That said, any place that she has gone, she demonstrated total confidence and appropriate behavior, so I have not been too concerned.

This weekend was different, she got to be a busy working dog!  Saturday morning, a Leaders Meeting, with two CFRs, followed by a statewide Puppy Raiser Workshop.  So, what did Esme think of a large room full of 40 or so dogs?

The exception was her brief reunion with Eagle, her brother.  She gave him a sweet kiss on the nose, and a few extra body wiggles upon greeting.  The two Shawn/Darice puppies look nearly identical in the head.  I was even surprised that Eagle is pretty much the same size (small) as Esme.  They are both very submissive dog-dog greeters, which was kind of comical.
Esme and Eagle kiss hello
 
Esme & Eagle

Sunday was back-to-school shopping and more!  While waiting for my teenage boys to pick out some shoes, I had Esme try kenneling under the bench.  She was more than happy to get her shoulders under, but kind of forgot about the rear end...

After a few more stores, we went to lunch where Esme happily snoozed on the cool concrete (notice the pattern?).

Then we drove to Salt Lake City and made a short trip through Costco before heading over to the ice rink for a hockey scrimmage that my younger son was participating in.  Again, Esme just settled quickly and went to sleep.  In fact, if there was an award for the dog that settled most quickly, Esme might win!

All in all, a good, outing filled weekend for a dog that doesn't go much, and she handled it like a pro!

No comments: