Thursday, September 26, 2013

Running Again

We said goodbye to Levi on Monday, September 23rd.  Another life lost to the destruction of an aggressive lymphoma with T-cells.  Over the weekend, I kept thinking that giving up my GDB puppies for formal training scarcely holds a candle to the pain and torture of putting your beloved dog to sleep.  I wish it was not a choice that I have to make every decade or so.  Argh.  Why do I love these puppy dogs so?

Levi joined our family when he was 8-weeks-old.  The cutest little guy.  He was to be my running partner. He did not disappoint!  In 2006, I ran a marathon.  My last long run before race day was 26 miles.  Levi ran 22 of those miles with me!  He came home, took a good nap, and was back at his normal routine in the yard.
Levi at 8-weeks-old

Levi was a "smiler".  When he was naughty (which as a young dog happened a fair amount), he would curl his lip and tuck and twist his head in apology.  We attempted to teach the Smile on cue, but were never successful.

It was not until Rudy came to live with us that I discovered one of his naughtiest hobbies.   When my children were young, we had quiet time in the early afternoon (the toddler & I caught a little nap).  Apparently, Levi used this time to chase the pony and latch onto her tail while she ran about the field with a little Jack Russell hanging from her.  Rudy went into a crazy barking fit to be missing the fun.  I had been wondering what was happening to her previously beautiful tail...  In an instant I knew.  When I ran outside to rescue the pony, guess what Levi did? Smile.
Levi and his bestie, Dillon


For all his naughtiness when left to his own devices, Levi was extremely obedient.  He showed the utmost respect to both people and other dogs.  He loved big dogs, and equally hated small ones.  The dogs bigger than him were revered and kissed and attempted to be played with.  No comment on what potentially evil plots he had for the little dogs he saw.  I can say that I saw the mental wheels turning in his head...  Levi developed a kindred spirit for the guide dog puppies that came through our home over the years.

A life too short.  Potential unfulfilled.  Levi lived his life to his fullest ability.  Our home & family will miss him.  Words cannot express the dog that Levi was, or the special soul that he possesses.

RIP (Run in Peace)
 Levi
Oct 18, 2003 - September 23, 2013

1 comment:

mickelle smith said...

I'm thinking of you Stefanie! Having to make that decision is the hardest of my life... I don't look forward to having to do that again in the next few years- I mean at least 40 years- with Judith. It about killed me with Vinnie. Make sure Esme gives you some extra love over the next little while.